I was tinkering around my IIS 7 which comes on my Windows 7 Guest on VMWare fusion. I have my web application stored on my Mac Drive and IIS on VMWare. Apparently, when I try to share the drive via VMWare share to Windows, and I try to browse the site, I get this error :
HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error
Description: The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.
Error Code: 0x8007052e
Module: IIS Web Core
Requested URL: http://localhost/
Logon User: Not yet determined
Logon Method: Not yet determined
Handler: Not yet determined
Config Error: Cannot read configuration file
Config File: \\?\UNC\vmware-host\webapp
So how I made it work ? We must not use VMWare sharing but instead use Mac OSX Samba Sharing.
MAC OS X Instructions
- Create an account called IIS_UsrAccess on Mac OSX (or any account). Make sure that this is a sharing account for security. Remember the password you used on Mac OSX.
- Go to System Preference -> Sharing
- Tick on File Sharing
- Click on Options
- Tick : Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)
- On the account below, choose IIS_UsrAccess
- Click on Done
- Add a the folder you want to share to Windows under Shared Folders
- On the users, add IIS_UsrAccess and choose Read or Read and Write.
- Browse the Folder via Finder
- Under the folder you shared, right click and choose Get Info
- Below, you would see Sharing and Permissions as shown here :
- Test first on your Windows if you are able to access the shared folder by going to Windows Explorer and \\
\ . Example, on my machine I typed \\MyMac\Web and I'm able to browse the folder.
- Create an iis_usraccess account on Windows and use the same password you used on Mac OSX. This is to allow account pass through.
- Once this is done, go to IIS Manager.
- Create an Application by doing Add Application or Create a Virtual Directory by clicking Add Virtual Directoy (I Assumed you already have a site
- On Alias, choose whatever alias you want. On Physical Path, choose \\
- Click on Connect As... and on new window, type in Specific User and then click on Set. Once Set is clicked, type in on the Username iis_usraccess and password of the user you created on windows and mac os x.
- Once done, click on Test Settings.
- It should be both green, meaning you are now able to browse the site.