If you are a developer on a company who has a strong development process in-place, you are normally asked to deploy the shared jar files on the PortalServer/shared or PortalServer/config directory. You may have wondered, if you can actually deploy your jar files and property files in a separate folder(s) instead of those above given directory. The answer is YES. Though, this is not documented anywhere I believe.
While on the course of the portal migration project, I encountered all custom portlets to have 3 shared libraries configured on each of them. The funny thing is that all of the shared libraries configured are the same for all of the portlets. This is actually a headache for me during migration as there are more than 100 portlets deployed and I don't expect myself to configure them one by one. So, what I did was to configure 3 new shared libraries BUT configure my Portal Server to see this Shared Libraries, rather than deploying my libraries under PortalServer/shared or PortalServer/Config. I didn't deploy the shared library on the PortalServer/shared or PortalServer/config folder as what IBM manuals normally says.
But instead, this JAR files are stored on a different directory, but whenever Portal loads, it knows that this jar files are to be loaded as shared library that is to be shared by all portlets. How ? Follow the below instructions. Note that this instruction is for WAS 6.1, but the same can be found on 5.1 and 6.0 though in a different way of doing it.
- Logon to the Websphere Application Server console.
- Go to Environment -> Shared Libraries,
- Create your own Shared Library. Add the classpath pointing to your JAR files.
- Apply and save this configuration.
- Now, this is the fun part. Go to Servers -> Application Servers -> Websphere_Portal -> Java and Process Management -> ClassLoader.
- Class loader may vary but it should only contain one link. Click on that class loader.
- Click on the Shared Library References
- You will notice all the shared libraries that are used by Websphere Portal. Click on Add.
- Add your shared library.
- Save and restart Websphere Portal.
Post a Comment